Tuesday 14 April 2020

Dancing while under the apocalypse #9

It's been a while since my last transmission...

Out here in the quiet regions life continues at a relatively normal pace except nothing is normal right now. The strange expectation of doing ALLTHETHINGS vs the god do I even have to get out of bed today and what day is it anyway are vast. I've settled on a pattern of one thing for the house and one thing for me and anything else after that is bonus pudding without calories.

The weather turned. Better and more accurate to say the temperature turned. It got way colder and we are back to having frost in the mornings. I forget it's only April and this is normal. What's not so normal is the lack of rain but this was the case last year as well. We never used to have to water the garden in April but here we are playing rain gods. The little black birds are happy though, they have water back in their little pond / bird bath and it's a delight to watch them splashing about with abandon. They don't care where they slosh water and the grass delights in the extra.

We have been fixing up the garden. I planted things, things that are growing, herbs, potatoes and so on. This speaks of hope, my hope that I will be home more to tend these growy things.  My house plants are also benefiting me not travelling 9-10 days a month, they look lush and green and loved. Well they are loved. I see the difference in me being home all the time tend to them, whisper stories to them, tell them I love them. They like this sort of thing.

Inside things are different. I'm back to not sleeping so well, the general melancholy is also back and I'm withdrawing. I find I don't want to engage much on social media, I don't have much to say and as a passive listener trying to sort out between the data skips and lag I find I lose the will to concentrate and be present. What's changed is I now want to read books and be quiet.

I just finished the 2nd book in the new Thrawn trilogy and it was excellent. Better than the the 1st set of books in the now Legacy canon.  The writing is tighter, the story more coherent. And now that Thrawn has a voice ( thank you Rebels) it's easier to hear his character as well. I look forward to the next book. And also to more Star Wars stories in general. In difference to many I like the new direction, the new characters and the stories. I especially love the new films ( well maybe not The Last Jedi as much) but over all I am satisfied with how the saga ended. But I would like more. More well written, excellent characters and stories set in the Star Wars universe will never go unwelcome in this house. The Mandalorian is definitely a plus. It almost makes me want to revisit my own 3 book star wars saga ( that fan fic thing I wrote ages ago) Edit the fuck out of it and make it more readable. What I take sheer joy in is seeing so many thing I wrote about actually come to life (not suggesting anyone stole anything) just that minds have caught up with the same ideas. It's nice.

So here we are on the 30th day of self exile. The world moves forward because time moves forward but it feels as though it were standing still.

The pictures are from ages ago when I was futzing about with 12" dolls and photo stuff to illustrate my stories.







No comments:

Post a Comment

tales from the dark side...