Tuesday 7 April 2020

Dancing while under the apocalypse #7

week 4

We were supposed to be in Ticine this week, it's a monthly thing for Marcus's work. We would have been coming back from Austria from an SCA event, Crown Tourney, instead we were at home for the 4th weekend running. I had forgotten how much I LIKE being home. especially now because it's spring, which means planting and re-potting and generally being out in the garden. And it has been glorious.

The weather has been gradually warming up, yesterday was sunny and bright with zero clouds in the sky. No planes = no clouds it seems.

We got new neighbours a few months back, weekend people who bought the villa next door because they liked the view, it's a massive house at 400 m2 but hey I guess if you have the money why not. Anyway these guys decided they needed to landscape the bottom of the garden that meets the small lake and since their property and our property run into each other it was decided to see if we could go on a joint mission to rid ourselves of the sleeping beauty brambles that have essentially closed off the bottom of the garden to the lake for as long as we have lived in the house.

We are talking bramble stalks as thick and my arm with thorns that will shred you if you dare go near them. So for the last few days the area has been filled with the sound of workers' voices, mostly men and mostly speaking a middle eastern language, I don't know what exactly but it sounded warm and full of laughter. They were funny and nice and they worked their asses off. Under normal circumstances I would have made cake and offered coffee but physical distancing meant I stayed back and waved from afar.

Now the way to the water is clear for the 1st time since we have lived here and it is glorious. The lake is privately owned. Something my little Canadian brain can't wrap itself around. You need to be a member of the Hamburg fishing club to use it but since we don't fish and due to the amount of birds that live on the lake I wouldn't be caught dead swimming in it getting to the water has never been a big deal. Now I think wouldn't it be cool to be able to go canoeing on the lake because it's big enough to do that but small enough you don't get lost. We'll see how things develop.

I spent the weekend re-potting house plants and planting seeds, I hope we will get some chilies, tomatoes and a bunch of herbs. I like growing things, I like feeling the earth on my hands and knowing that I can help something grow and be beautiful.  We have a bunch of new house plants because everything was on sale at the local baumarket and I felt the need to rescue them, give them new pots and a nice home. I'm a bit nuts like this.

anyway this is the beginning of week 4....






No comments:

Post a Comment

tales from the dark side...