Sunday 8 April 2012

Who are these people?

For the second time in a week I have been culling my friend list on facebook. It's gotten out of hand. Too many people whose names I look at and go Who the hell are you ? Or it's people I have nothing in common with anymore. We knew each other once upon a time but not any more. Or it was someone I thought was a friend but turned out they were not.

At first I felt bad about this because surely unfriending someone is the ultimate in not being nice nettiquette but really it's sensible and normal. I maintain that my FB wall is a lot like my living room and everyone on my f-list is a guest. I get to say who is invited. Now that FB has given everyone the abilities to sort out lists and decide levels of interaction I find myself putting more people in the restricted category than before. If that's the case then why bother having them on my friend list at all?

Lately my deciding factor has been how much they interact with me. No interaction = bye bye. It's good to let go sometimes. I mean it's nice to keep in touch with old friends, high school buddies etc... but if they don't actually interact with me then what is the point?

The whole facebook thing is strange. I have had people request friendship who I know were NEVER my friends, in fact they were people in my past who were fucking awful to me, treated me like garbage and then suddenly decide that we should be friends. Funny thing is they get really insulted when you don't accept the friendship request, like it's a right not a choice. I must admit I take perverse delight in hitting the "no" button in cases like this.  We were not friends way back then we're not friends now and I choose not to have you in my life. - KTHXSEEYOUBAI.

There are certain people on my f-list that I have become closer to due to FB. This is the nice part about it all, you get to interact with people that under normal circumstances you might not ever really get to know. These new friendships are precious and I am deeply grateful for them. But I don't collect friends to have numbers. I'm not one of these people who wants 10000's of people hanging off my every word. I could care less and sometimes the whole thing makes me surprisingly cross.

So the two sweep and clears I've done I think I've probably dropped around 25 people. I'm willing to bet that most of them will never know the difference. By the same token I'm willing to bet that there are people who have dropped me and if I didn't notice then it's just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tales from the dark side...