Tuesday 15 March 2011

what can we do?

art by Dave Liew


Nothing makes a person feel more helpless than sitting in front of the TV/computer watching a disaster of untold magnitude unfold right before their eyes. Personally I know how this makes me feel and somehow even adding money to one or more of the various international aid organisations around the world doesn't seem to be enough.

I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to watch every single part of your life be swept away in an instant of time. One moment your home, your belongings and even loved ones are there and the next they are wiped away as though they never existed.

Now not only does Japan have to find its way back from being devastated by an earthquake and a massive tsunami but now it faces all the chaos of possible nuclear meltdowns. On top of this their infrastructure is broken. Electricity is spotty, food and water among other things are in short supply in some places, thousands of people have no where to go, no jobs to go to and nothing more than the clothes on their backs. Manufacturing of export items has also stopped and this will have long reaching effects

And it isn't just Japan, although right now the eyes of the world are there. There are terrible things happening to people all around the globe. So do what you can to help out when and where you can. Even a little bit can go a long way.

I know I consider myself incredibly lucky to have the luxury of clean water, good food, a roof over my head and all the toys I could ask for. I do not need for anything. Now imagine if something suddenly took all of that away.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies

No comments:

Post a Comment

tales from the dark side...