Sunday 6 March 2011

it's con time...


We are headed to Fed-Con in April. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I promised Marcus I'd make him costumes so double ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! On the to do list are Imperial Officer ( gulp) and  TOS. I still need fabric for the latter but the former all I need is courage.

Last year I did the Tusken and the two crew outfits. The tusken was fun ( I did not make the mask that was created by Martina from Italy) I could have but it would have been so much work that I would not have had the costume done in time so we bought it instead and I am very happy we did. However, everything else I did myself.


While I don't really enjoy sewing all that much it was a lot of fun to try and figure out how to make this costume especially with the materials I had on hand. In the end I was happy with the overall look. And while I got flak about the shawl not being perfect....personally I don't give a rat's ass. In my not so humble opinion the tuskens were nomads who scavenged what they could from the desert and settlers so none of them would ever have looked 100% alike and saying that my costume is wrong because it doesn't 100% match the 1 or two images out here is just stupid. It looks like a tusken female looks and I'm leaving it at that. It got approved and that is also fine with me. However it's a hot costume to wear so I don't wear it for long periods  at a time and since we are not staying at the FEDCON hotel this year ( sorry but I can't justify spending 210.00 euros PER NIGHT) for a standard double room in the Maritime we are now staying off site and that means being far more picky about costumes.

So I guess the next round of projects for me will be getting Marcus's officer's outfit done. He really really wants this and I am sort of scared to attempt it but I have the fabric, the pattern, the multiple advice form those who have gone before and I also have the skills ( mostly). So we'll see. I will keep the world posted tho...

No comments:

Post a Comment

tales from the dark side...